Interest rates on fixed deposits have fallen significantly over the past few years. But there are still plenty of opportunities out there. Find out how much you could earn with an FD today!
Interest rates on fixed deposits (FD) have been falling for several years now. Most of the banks are cutting down the interest rates of fixed deposits. It goes down as low as 3 percent per annum.
Normally when you open a fixed deposit in bank, you get the option to choose how it is going be closed. You may advise your bank to give back the principal amount along with the interest earned or you may advise them to get rolled-over your FD for another term. Either way you can go for and enjoy having FDs in your name.
But, have you ever thought that these fixed deposits can be used in a certain way to get monthly interest pay-out. Awesome right?
Your capital portion of investment will stay intact till it matures and you also keep on getting the interest you have earned in your account monthly. You may also choose the interest pay-out option to monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually.
Let’s see, if we go for monthly interest on fixed deposit, how its going to be?
Monthly interest on Fixed Deposit
Does fixed deposit gives monthly interest? The answer is yes. But the calculation is on annual interest though you get on daily basis. Term Deposit has the facility of these interest pay-out.
Let’s see, how fixed deposit interest is paid monthly. Take ₹50 lakhs as an investment amount. If we consider that the prevailing interest rate is 6 percent per annum and open a term deposit of 5 years. The calculation goes something like this.
- Divide 300000 by 12 months which is ₹25000
- If bank is taxing you @10 percent as TDS, then your monthly interest pay-out will go down to ₹22500
Likewise, if we calculate for monthly interest on fixed deposit of ₹25 lakhs, you will get ₹12500 per month. If TDS is 10 percent, you would get ₹11250 as a post taxed monthly pay-out.
Is all Fixed Deposit has this facility?
No. its not. Fixed deposits are classified into 2 types. One is current deposit and the other is term deposit. Current deposits are those which are opened for a short period of time. It may go between 7 days to below 1 year. Interest pay-out is not available under the such scheme.
You may get the facility only in term deposit which runs for 1 year and above. The maximum tenor one can have a fixed deposit is 10 years.
Which bank gives monthly interest on fixed deposits? You may get these facility in any bank. Wherever you bank, you can apply for it. But to maximize your monthly pay-out, you have to compare interest rate and choose for the highest one.
You must have seen that even in the same bank interest rate of FD differ with different tenor. 1 year FD may have lower interest rate than the other longer period FD.
Few tips of choosing the Best Fixed Deposit
Choosing which FD offers you better is the first thing that you must consider. Some facts on the particular bank will easily make you able to decide swiftly. Here are few of the things that need to be considered when choosing a Fixed Deposit.
- Choosing Bank- Choosing bank is one of the foremost that come in the list. How safe your money is depend on that. So, go for bank which are identified by the regulatory body which is Reserve Bank. These banks are known as D-SIBs (Domestic Systematically Important Banks). It is considered these banks are too big to fail. Having FDs in these bank are totally safe and secure,
- Accessibility- Can you access to your bank whenever you want. Other than business hour, see if its accessible online too. Accessibility is one such thing that is often neglected. When having issue, not all telephonic conversation is satisfying. Physical presence is better sometime.
- Interest Rates- Rate of interest is the deciding factor. When you have research about the bank and its presence now with how much return you are going to get is the deciding factor. When rate of interest is too high, it means the underlying risk is higher than the counterpart.
- Terms and Conditions- Read the terms and conditions of the bank. All bank have somewhat more or less same terms and conditions of opening fixed deposit. You must confirm these terms and conditions. Whether you can apply for partial withdrawal of FD or what are the penalties involved when breaking out early. Nomination facility etc.
- Offers- Offers is often neglected but do you know that bank do offer better rate for the customers. SBI has ‘we care’ facility for senior citizen. With it, senior people get additional 30 bps higher rate of interest. The condition is applicable only to those FDs of 5 years and above. Likewise, some bank offer better rate online than offline. You must check it out before conclusion.
The downside of FD with interest pay-out
Its helpful that you get every month a regular income from your fixed deposit which take care of financial needs. If you have devised the facility in such a way that you get the benefit of FD monthly interest pay-out as well as your other investment is intact. Than its a great plan actually. But choosing this over other lucrative investment would not make sense.
The reason is that, when you opt for interest pay-out, there will be no compounding effect on your interest earned. It means that your investment is limited only to those monthly income you have generated. Try mixing your investment and look for options that you have. Also enjoy getting monthly income on your fixed deposit.
1 thought on “How to get monthly interest on fixed deposit?”
Your article helped me a lot, is there any more related content? Thanks!