A recurring deposit scheme of banks and post offices that lets you save money at regular intervals of time, mostly monthly saving plans.
It is quite a useful scheme for those folks who would want to have secured monthly savings.
What is a recurring deposit account?
Banks provide a facility for recurring deposit accounts to those people who would want monthly saving plans.
It can be opened by any individual including minors.
One of its best facilities is that a recurring deposit account can be opened by an individual who is in a low-income group.
A recurring deposit minimum amount is just ₹ 100 per month which is suitable for them.
It means a person can have these accounts with a minimum monthly subscription of just ₹ 100 which is very suitable for daily wage earners.
Features of recurring deposit
- A monthly secured recurring deposit plan for everyone.
- The interest rate is the same as the fixed deposit rate.
- A loan is available against the RD with the eligible amount of 90% of the face value.
- A minimum subscription amount of just ₹ 100 per month.
- No maximum subscription limit.
- A recurring deposit tenure is 1 year to 10 years.
- Options are available for interest payout.
- Premature closure of the account is allowed.
- An account passbook is available.
Benefits of a recurring deposit
|Some of the benefits of an RD account|
|A recurring deposit account is without any risks. As the subscription amount is as low as ₹100, people of the low-income group can invest in RD.|
|A loan is available against the RD account. The eligible amount is up to 90% of the face value of RD.|
|A recurring deposit account can be maintained by any individual including a minor.|
|No maximum subscription amount, a person who does not want to take risks might enjoy the facility of RD.|
Drawbacks of a recurring deposit
|Some of the drawbacks of an RD account|
|Interest earned is taxable as TDS.|
|The tax deduction rate is 10% and 20% if the subscriber has no PAN card.|
|A recurring deposit has a low-interest rate. If the same amount is invested in a mutual fund SIP with a little risk, better returns may get.|
|If you fail to pay monthly instalments, there will be penalties for that.|
Recurring deposit plans
When we say recurring deposit plans, it has a few of them. We have
- RD for the minor has to open with the Guardian.
- Normal RD account for an individual.
- For senior citizens, recurring deposits have higher interest rates as applicable to them.
Apart from the above plans, the tenure of the RD makes the difference. It is seen that an RD with longer tenure gives a higher rate of interest than its shorter counterparts.
Online recurring deposit
It is good to know that banks have made RD account opening facilities online. It can be done on the Internet banking platform.
Here’s the process
- You may go to the My Account section.
- Under it, you may find the e-TDR, e-STDR and e-RD account opening options.
- Click on that e-RD option.
- Select Debit account.
- Select tenure of RD account.
- Select interest payment method.
- Put the subscription amount.
- Submit it and your recurring deposit account will be open.
- If you need a passbook, go to the bank and let them print it for you.
The process of online recurring deposit account opening is quite easy and simple. Besides, the process itself is self-explanatory.
All you need is to select and tick those boxes displayed on the web page.
You may also set the standing instruction online for future payment of the monthly instalments.